Monday, May 01, 2006

Say It Ain't So...

On Friday, Randy and I went to Atlantic City. Please, hold your exasperation until the end.

We both made decent accountings of ourselves at the poker tables, pocketing a little bit of extra cash. But my poker victory didn't taste quite as sweet as it should have, as I discovered that I lost a dear friend of mine. For years, I've written about this friend. We had our ups and downs, sure. But deep down, I really would like to think that this friend gave just as much to me as I did to said amigo.

So imagine my shock as I ventured to the nickel slot area of Bally's to meet up with a friend I had not connected with in several months, only to find that he wasn't there. I thought maybe he decided to play a trick on me by hiding in a different location than our normal meeting place.

But as I continued to look in every nook and cranny of this smoke-filled den of sin, reality sank in more and more. My friend wasn't hiding...he was gone for good. I didn't want to believe it. I truly, deeply did not want to believe it.

Unfortunately, it's all too real.

Unfortunately, it's all too true.

Unfortunately, it's all too soon.

So with a heavy heart, I say goodbye. Goodbye to a friend. Goodbye...to my bitch.


WHY GOD WHY?!?

I would blog more, but I'm just too upset. It's just a cold hard lesson that sometimes, in the Big Wheel of Life, you only get one chance to spin it all the way around...

Because if you don't, you just may not get to spin again.

Until next time...
Dan

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I've been trying to think of the good times. Granted, there were many times in our give-and-take relationship that there was less give and a lot more take.

But why...WHY in a time of mourning did you also have to bring up Popeye for Colecovision? I'm going to start balling like a baby any minute now.

Stay strong, Dan. Stay strong...

 
At Monday, May 08, 2006 9:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

asian: "borgota is a really nice poker room."
us: "cool - whats it like in there, lots of tables?"
asian: "not sure - never been there"

 
At Monday, May 08, 2006 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Quote of the year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home